You will need records of income earned in the year prior to when you will start school. You may also need records of your parents' income information if you are a dependent student.
For the 2012-2013 school year you will need financial information from 2011. You may need to refer to:
- Your Social Security card. It is important that you enter your Social Security Number correctly!
- Your driver's license (if any)
- Your 2011 W-2 forms and other records of money earned
- Your (and if married, your spouse's) 2011 Federal Income Tax Return.
- IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
- Foreign Tax Return, or
- Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
- Your Parents' 2011 Federal Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
- Your 2011 untaxed income records
- Your current bank statements
- Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
- Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
To organize your information, you can print and complete a FAFSA on the Web Worksheet before you begin entering your information online. However, you are not required to do so. FAFSA on the Web will guide you through the questions that you must answer, and you can save your application and return to it later if you don't have the information you need to answer any of the questions.
Keep these records! You may need them again. Do not mail your records to Federal Student Aid.