This is question 49 on the paper FAFSA.
This question cannot be left blank.
Select Yes if you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
You are a veteran if you:
- Have engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard), or are a National Guard or Reserve enlistee who was called to active duty for other than state or training purposes, or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies, and
- Were released under a condition other than dishonorable.
Also select Yes if you are not a veteran now but will be one by June 30, 2013.
Select No if you:
- Have never engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces,
- Are currently an ROTC student, a cadet or midshipman at a service academy,
- Are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee activated only for state or training purposes, or
- Were engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces but released under dishonorable conditions.
Also select No if you are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and will continue to serve through June 30, 2013.